These instructions show you how to migrate an existing website from a shared host to a server managed by ServerPilot. For example, you can use them to migrate a WordPress site to DigitalOcean. You can also use them to migrate an existing app in ServerPilot to a new server.
- Create a new app on the new server you have connected.
- Create a new database with the same name as your existing database. Make a note of the username and password.
- Copy the website's files to the app's web root directory ("public") on the new server.
- On the new server, update any of the app's files that reference the database credentials. You should change them to the new database's username/password you created above. In WordPress, you would edit the file "wp-config.php".
- Export the database from the old server using either mysqldump or phpMyAdmin.
- Import the data to the new server using either mysql's command line tool or through phpMyAdmin (see the tutorial for installing phpMyAdmin).